Sunday, May 31, 2009

What is reality anyways?

I’ve spent the week debating whether to talk about something or not. Not because it’s anything scandalous, but more because it’s something that has both frightened and yet intrigued me at the same time.

I have been a fan of the show Jon & Kate plus 8 since the day it premiered. I have followed this family from the infancy of their twins and sextuplets, through their first days of school, their move to a larger home and now, through what appears to be the most trying days of their marriage. Now I don’t know these people…I know what their show portrays, and I know what I read in the media, but I have no idea what’s going on behind closed doors. The one thing I do know is that I have watched through the years as a seemingly strong marriage and family fell apart in front of my eyes. And that scares me.

My husband and I have a strong marriage…some say too strong. We do everything together, we go everywhere together, and we know each other inside out and backwards. And in my mind, I never, ever see that changing. But what if Jon and Kate didn’t either? How do marriages fall apart? If you love each other completely, what would have to happen to change that?

It’s easy for me to judge others…I have always said that Kate nags Jon way too much…but if I stop to think about it, I nag my husband. What if he cracks some day? What if I make one too many helpful driving suggestions…or remind him one too many times that it’s garbage day…

I thought the kids were probably a strain on their relationship. But since we’re trying to have our own right now, what if that happens to us? (There’s a new tidbit of info for some of you J) I don’t anticipate having 8 children…in fact, I can say with 100% certainty that we won’t. But what if we have twins or triplets? Could we handle the pressure? We have enough trouble remembering to feed our cat some days.

And then there are the cameras always in their faces. I firmly believe this is the root of their problems. It’s been obvious that Jon has been tired of them for a while now, and who can blame him? If I had 8 kids, the last thing I would be thinking about in the morning is getting dressed and doing my hair so that I look good for the cameras. And who wants to eat breakfast in front of a TV camera? With the way Kate yells at Jon, I’m sure it’s a little embarrassing for him to know his friends and family are all watching every ‘wrong’ move.

My husband and I spent time Monday night after the show talking about this very issue…trying to reassure each other that we are nothing like Jon & Kate. In my mind, I vowed to stop nagging as much…just to be safe. And then we went out…and the helpful driving hints came out again. Oh well, he’s put up with them for 9 years already… I just hope it all works out for the best for Jon & Kate, and even though I know I shouldn’t, I’ll be watching every week, hoping for the best.

This week was a busy one at work. There is always so much to be done, and never enough hours to get it all completed. It’s good though…I like a challenge. I’ve been losing weight like crazy for the past couple of weeks. Not sure why…I’m not trying to…but all of a sudden I’ve stopped being hungry. I can take 2 bites of a meal and be full, so I find myself doing just that. If I didn’t have so much to lose, I might be worried, but I’ve decided to give myself 50 lbs. before I worry. Since I’m losing at a rate of a pound a day, I figure a check up in late summer will be in order! I have a couple of theories as to why it’s happening, both healthy reasons, so I’m going to hold on to those and see what happens. I had a phase like this in university once that reversed itself quickly enough, so I’m not holding out much hope that it will last!

We went to see the movie “Up” last night. What a good movie! It’s a Pixar film, so it had one of those cool short films at the beginning which I enjoyed as much as the movie itself. The movie had a sweet story to it, and literally had me crying within the first 15 minutes or so. I encourage you to see it. It’s 3D, so you get cool Corey Hart-esque glasses to wear too.

It was our first time in the new Westmount VIP Theatre, which was cool, but kind of weird. The site of 20-somethings pouring pitchers of beer through the movie, and eating sushi and sweet potato fries was slightly distracting, but the fact that we were watching a kid’s movie without a single kid in the theatre was kind of nice! The first row is La-Z-Boy recliners which we tried out once most of the theatre had cleared out. I don’t know what it would be like being so close to the screen but damn, were they comfy! I think I’d likely fall asleep in them!

I’ve found my tastes getting more and more expensive over the years. I would think nothing of spending an extra $10 to go to the VIP theatre again for the added comforts, even though 4 weeks ago, before the theatre opened, I had no issues with a regular theatre. I find it almost impossible to stay in a hotel with less than 4 stars now, even though I spent my childhood in crappy motels on family vacations and never wished for more luxury. I have a hard time ordering steak anywhere but The Keg…in fact, I don’t. But really, our budget does not – should not – allow for us to be known as regulars there. And yet, we are, to the extent that we get free drinks, staff discounts, hell, we exchange emails with some of the staff! I know which waiters are students, which ones are budding musicians, which are lifers there. And I like that. I don’t think I’d ever get that level personal attention and service at Arby’s or Pizza Hut, and really the place and the people are as important to me as the food.

So, basically, I am becoming a snob…and a poor one at that! Unfortunately my employer does not seem to be keeping up with my higher cost of living, so that’s a problem. What’s a girl to do? I guess I could always invite a reality show into our home…

2 comments:

  1. I have had the very same thoughts and concerns about how seemingly quickly a marriage can come apart. How many of us are not under some kind of stress - whether it's work, money, health etc etc. I have watched over the past year as a co-worker's marriage came apart after 17 years and wondered how many people actually see it coming. I guess it comes down to faith and love and a little luck!

    I love the blog Kathy, I will be checking in often!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great new photo, your hair looks fantastic... what do you have planned this weekend? Do you have a new post coming soon? Can't wait to read all the exciting things.

    ReplyDelete