Saturday, July 25, 2009

You're reading this, you're really reading this!

As I start this blog, I have no idea what I will be writing about, but I feel the need to write one having just looked at the view count on my site and realizing that it has had 340 hits! Unless one of you checks it dozens of times a day, I obviously have more followers than have identified themselves as public followers, and frankly, I’m kind of flattered. Thank you for reading…I hope it has been interesting, and that it stays that way. And I hope that each of you buys a copy of my book when it is out!!!

I spent last night at the Hawk Rocks the Park concert in Harris Park featuring Shane Yellowbird (hottie), Aaron Pritchett (also a hottie) and Big & Rich (just awesome) with Cowboy Troy (huge AND a hottie). The concert is a fundraiser for the Bethany’s Hope Foundation which supports research into Metachromatic Leukodystrophy which is a very rare and incurable condition affecting children and the Foundation is able to contribute tens of thousands of dollars to this cause each year thanks to this concert series. So needless to say, I felt terribly guilty knowing that I got my tickets for free from one of the sponsors! I’m sure I’ll be making a donation to them soon to make up for this. (By the way – if any of you ever need a mortgage broker, I owe mine a favour for this rocking night, so let me know and I’ll pass on his info. He’s awesome!)

The concert was a lot of fun, and I find myself having trouble moving today thanks to 5 ½ hours of standing and dancing, but just as much fun as the music was the people watching. I’m an avid people-watcher, and places like outdoor music festivals are awesome for this because they bring out such a huge cross-section of people. There were an awful lot of young people there, which I wasn’t expecting, but many of them seemed to be true country fans singing along to each song. They were also the most generous offering everyone around them, including grandmas and children, puffs off their marijuana joints. Who says kids these days have no manners? These guys were perfect, slightly mellow, gentlemen.

There were also a lot of older folks, many dressed to the nines in their country finery. You can tell the folks who attend country concerts all the time by the number of country pieces they have in their wardrobe. Apparently the thing to do is to wear them all at the same time, as evidenced last night. Wow. Some people have some serious styling issues. It was all good fun though, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. And I must admit I regret not buying the adorable looking cowboy hat I tried on. Next time, I will not talk myself out of it. I have to fit in after all.

For my husband, the most exciting part of the evening was getting a prime parking meter beside the park which allowed us to pull right out while everyone else battled their way out of nearby lots. He’s very proud of it, so I thought it was worthy of mention here. And it sure helped to be close as the path out of the park is all uphill and we were already feeling pretty old by the time we got to the top. The trip was, however, made much more enjoyable by the more than slightly intoxicated guy behind us who was carrying a stolen 5 foot by 5 foot Molson Canadian sign, promising his girlfriend that she could sit down once they got to Solid Gold, which is a local strip club. But not before he stopped to sing along with the guy on the side of the road who was busking for change, and then offering to sell him the stolen sign for $5. Ah, it takes all types, doesn’t it? Good times.

This was a great kick-off to a week of vacation bliss which we are starting into. It’s supposed to rain every single day of our vacation…not sure what’s up with London weather this summer…but since the plan was to get as much R&R as possible, this may not be such a bad thing. In fact, it’s currently Saturday at 6:30pm and I have yet to get out of my PJs. I consider it impressive that I had a shower today, even if it was only 2 hours ago. This is the kind of vacation I love, and that I desperately need. I hope this week doesn’t go too fast!

Well, time to get back to writing the novel now. If I keep going at this rate, it should be finished by the time I retire. But before I do, I would like to offer a movie suggestion. I don’t do it often, although I have offered a couple already on this blog, but I think the message of this movie is one that everyone can appreciate. The movie is called One Week and stars Joshua Jackson from Dawson’s Creek fame. It’s a Canadian film, and not a wide release, so be advised the actual filming quality is not the greatest (at one point you can tell the camera is filming through a car window while it’s raining out) but the story is moving and without telling you too much about it, if you have ever found yourself wondering if you are on the right path, this movie will appeal to you. It’s available at your local video store. If you watch it, let me know what you thought.

And if you take nothing else away from today’s blog, at least remember this….Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for the chuckle about the couple with the sign...will be checking out the movie because I have to admit I love Joshua Jackson...and I'm a true Cdn film fan......love the way you write Kathy

    Christine

    ReplyDelete