Friday, June 26, 2009

Reflections on life...

Well, the world lost 2 well known personalities today – Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. Whether you loved them or hated them, the fact is they both went too soon.

I have already talked on this blog about my new-found respect for Farrah and the absolute hell she has been battling. I hope that she will finally be at peace. She fought the good fight.

Michael Jackson…where to start? There was a time when I was absolutely an MJ fan. I had the albums, the posters, the gloves. And I think it would be hard for anyone to deny that the man was an extraordinary musical talent. But you know, the guy was weird…and possibly a child molester…weird I can deal with…perv I can’t. So I’m having trouble processing whether or not I’m upset about this. I mean, I certainly feel bad for his family. I wouldn’t wish death on anyone…well, ok, maybe people who kill children, wife abusers, child molesters…huh, maybe I would wish it on him.

In other troubling news, Jon and Kate Gosselin of Jon & Kate Plus 8 fame have filed for divorce. It was obvious this was coming, but what is coming as a shock to me is how nasty things are becoming, and how quickly. I understand that divorce is rarely an amicable thing, but sitting down for interview after interview to slam the mother/father of your children is not only undignified, but downright wrong. Years from now those kids will read those interviews, and if they aren’t already traumatized by the never ending paparazzi who trail them everywhere, they will be when they find out why it was happening. Sad. Will I still watch the show…likely…which isn’t the answer I know I should be giving. But sometimes a train wreck is just too hard to ignore.

On a much lighter note, I finally saw The Hangover this week and have now become the biggest advocate of this movie ever! It has been a long time since I’ve laughed so hard at a movie that I cried, but folks, it happened with this one. Without giving too much away, all I can say is that the best part of the movie happens in the last 5 minutes…trust me…go see it.

This has seemed like the longest week ever to me. Work is insane, which is frightening considering this is just the tip of the iceberg. I love my job…I love what I do…I love the people I work with…I love the kids I help. But the grind of working in not for profit, where one person often ends up doing a job that 3-4 people would cover in any other environment sure can wear you out. I’m not sure how much longer my aging mind and body can handle the demands, but I know that for the next 6 months, I will need to suck it up and push ahead. So I will. Mickey Mouse is waiting for 200 kids to come for a visit, and who am I to let Mickey, and 200 kids, down? Just keep swimming, just keep swimming…

I think the week has been a long one because I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about several friends who are going through rough patches right now for various reasons. I hate to think of anyone in pain, but particularly my friends. I am careful to surround myself with only the best, most caring, people I meet and therefore it is extraordinarily difficult for me to see any of them hurting. I hope they all know that they are in my thoughts, and that I am always just a phone call or email away if they need me. I can’t call myself the best friend a person could have…I know that I don’t stay in touch the way I should…but I will always be here if any of them…if any of you…need me.

On that note, I’m off to bed. Tomorrow is a new day, and I, for one, hope that it will be a day full of happiness and peace for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment